If you are driving a vehicle, you are armed with a deadly weapon. If you're on your cell phone while driving a deadly weapon, you're being pre-emptively stupid. If you are being pre-emptively stupid while driving a deadly weapon, in the RAIN, and you cross multiple lanes, why, why, why can't you be arrested for attempted murder??? Really? If you are a menace of that magnitude, shouldn't we get you off the street before you kill someone other than yourself?
The whole debate on driving while on the cell phone is tiresome. It goes to a persons ability to manage distractions while performing a task responsibly. There are times and situations where people can probably manage their distraction level while driving, and talking on a cell phone - ideally, with a headset as to keep both hands free for the radio, coffee, horn, lipstick, children, and whatever is in your day planner.
I was driving behind a couple in the fast lane one day and noticed that they were having a heated argument. I typically don't like to eavesdrop but I couldn't help but make out some of the words because they were SIGNING to each other. More than likely, a deaf/mute/otherwise impaired couple, having a heated debate. Signing takes two hands. So, the driver, in the fast lane, was steering with her legs. (on a side note, if people are signing, and you understand any level of sign language, does it count as "eavesdropping"?). They were driving slower than I would have liked so I changed lanes and moved around them. Later, they will still behind me, arguing, signing, and now I, was watching them from behind. It was a disaster in the making, but eventually, I found my exit.
If they do create a law that penalizes drivers from distracting stimuli such as cell phones, what do they intend to do about the deaf people that are potentially a highway menace as well?
In truth, there's no solution to regulate behavior, but there will be soon technological solutions to take the control away from the driver, and let the computer cruise you along to your destination while you focus on your life-important tasks - such as music, TV, talking with friends on a cell phone, applying make-up, reading the newspaper or your day planer, or arguing with your deaf spouse.
Story Time
6 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment