Monday, July 25, 2005

Random, recent semi-noteworthy events

So, after my very depressing encounter with the Best Buy Automated Job Rejection system, I again was contacted by a Best Buy recruiter. This time, for a different store. We set up an interview, and only after I had confirmed, thinking this time I'd be able to slip by the evil technology overlords, he asked me to fill out an on-line application at their bestbuy.com site.

But this time, he gave me an unintended hint, apply for a SALES job, as the job I really wanted wasn't in the system yet. So, after spending nearly an hour, again, on this on-line application system. Which had a different set of questions. Wasn't asked about bankruptcy, dmv, or as many previous living locations. No certification questions either. I made it all the way through the 15 page personality profile quiz, which I guess means I'm up to the acceptable level for a Best Buy sales associate.

The interview went fine. In fact, the interviewing manager wasn't sure where to place me exactly. He had me take the Geek Squad Special Agent quiz - which I passed with flying colors and with a minimal amount of effort. Embarrassingly, I did get a few questions wrong. However, I'm still a certified and validated Geek. Not sure what to do with that, so I'll just smile and run with it.

The job I wanted was a Business Consultant, for their new, Store within a Store, metaphor. Mostly of that job would not be spent in the retail location, but on-site at various customer engagements. Essentially, it's what I was doing in Tucson at Xebrawerx, or in Phoenix at Vanstar.

I slammed the interview. The manager seemed to really respond to my answers and on a couple of occasions, his eyes popped and he smiled when not only did I answer the question right, but I made him realize something he hadn't.

Took my drug test, and expect to hear back from them this week so I can meet with the GM of the store.

I'm willing to admit that perhaps I was hasty in my generalizations of Best Buy and their systems. Their store within a store concept is probably the direction that the consulting area is going to go. After companies like Vanstar failed, it makes sense that a Big Retail store could front a nascent consulting agency and create a new profit center. Will be interesting to see how long it lasts as a co-joined effort before BB spins it out as a separate company.

(This post spell-checked by the Blogger spellchecker. Until a grammar checker is available, you'll just have to put up with my gramatical typos that I don't realize I've typed.)

No comments: